Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Walk not Run!

Summer had finally arrived...I know this because the sun is out and my house is hot...and my need for iced tea is growing!! This is good news to all of us who live in the Fraser Valley and have seen a lot of grey as of late.

Although the past few weeks have been busy I have been able to carve out some time here and there for me...what a change that makes! Having been able to do a bit of reading, clean a few closets (they were the things that nightmares are made of...Narnia was NOT what we found at the back of our wardrobes) and spend a little time with friends has certainly improved my outlook. Also having regained some control at home, I simply feel less stressed. Thank you Lord for that :)

Work is also less stressful....first of course I feel better now that the pneumonia and strep are gone, second is that warehouse sale and inventory is over and thirdly, even though my favorite girl is leaving (thank goodness not for awhile still), I can now gaze upon her little bump through out the day and smile!! Actually now I must wonder who will correct my spelling and grammar next year...hmmm...I may have to email her all my proofing...I digress.

The last couple of weeks a longtime friend and a new friend have been getting together one night a week to do a bit of a book study... Plan B by Pete Wilson. I love this book and am going through it now for the second time (the first I read it quite quickly). This week we looked at the life of David. This is a long story and I do not want to sound like a church service but a bit of background is needed for those who do not know the story well. David was anointed by Samuel at a young age, his best friend was a prince and King Saul took a special interest in him...he always felt God's presence in a special way and his life was set up to become King. Life was good....good until King Saul became jealous and decided to kill him, it was then that life began to seem a bit overwhelming and oppressive so David did what many of us do, he ran! Reasonable yes, after all the king was trying to kill him. Wilson writes this about Davids running, "You see, I believe David is making a huge mistake-the same mistake so many of us have made throughout our lifetimes. He assumes he understands God and His ways. He thinks he knows what God should be doing. And when God doesn't handle things the way he expected, David just gives up".

The point of this story is that eventually David did indeed become King, although David momentarily gave up on God , God did not give up on David.

I am being long winded (sorry) but bear with me another minute or two. Our culture often runs from God...we do it by watching TV, more activities, work ridiculously long hours or indulgence in food, alcohol or drugs....we run. When we are no longer in control of our lives we panic. In our panic we allow lies to overtake us (we each have our own set of lies...you are worthless, you are ugly, you are unlovable, you are ____). Don't give in to the lies and the disappointment, keep on persevering, your miracle, the change you need and have been waiting for is just around the corner.

Remember, run to God not away from him...patience and perseverance...despite what your circumstances tell you, God is there and He loves you! He wants to walk you through the difficult times...walk not run!!

No comments:

Post a Comment