Monday, January 12, 2015

To Yoga or not to Yoga...

Now that the year is underway (and the flu bug has finally left) it is time for me to decide what I shall do for me....surprisingly this seems to be a much bigger dilemma than I anticipated.

I looked into cooking classes (I would really like to make my own sushi) but the classes all seem to be in Vancouver so that's not happening...I thought about a photography class (my kids tell me I take the worst pictures) but that requires a new camera which is not going to happen...a friend suggested painting (my artistic ability consists of happy faces and butterflies) but with my talent level that is simply a waste of money...

Yoga...yes I should start taking a yoga class....it is good for me, perhaps will help my old lady hip feel better about getting up in the morning...hmm, yoga....yoga it is...well maybe...

Yoga comes with many preconceptions...pretzel like formations, New Ageism, crazy chanting that opens the door of darkness, so many misconceptions. Is it really good for you? Some doctors say yes, some say no.  Most of my friends would be supportive while some would voice concern so before making my 'announcement' I thought I should do a bit of research. I picked up a copy of 'Holy Yoga' to help clarify some of the myths about yoga. I looked at reports from John Hopkins to learn of medical benefits.

Here are the basics of what I learned:
-Yoga predates Hinduism by at least 1000 years (therefore yoga is not a religion, simply adopted by some eastern religions)
-Yoga is a physical exercise (with the benefit of strengthening and improving strength, balance and flexibility)
-Yoga is about concentration, concentration promotes mental health (if I have to do those poses you can be guaranteed I will be concentrating)
-Yoga has some really bad music (I will be replacing the 'chanting' with a challenge to memorize a portion of the book of Ephesians and using the Lord's prayer instead)

I guess in the end I simply need to do something!! So tomorrow morning at 7:15 I will be dressed in stretchy pants attempting to sit cross-legged...I hope to leave feeling like I have accomplished something that will be beneficial to my health, both physical and mental.

No comments:

Post a Comment