Monday, January 28, 2013

One Word

What exactly is in a word?

word :[wurd]noun
1.a unit of language, consisting of one or more spoken sounds or their written representation, that functions as a principal carrier of meaning


There is power in the spoken word....they can be good or bad, positive or negative, helpful or hurtful...what we say and how we say it is as important as the interpretation of what we say. There is power in the written word. They can tell a story, convince us to take a stand, or provide us with instruction....today's post is about a word, just one word.

I have found myself feeling somewhat scattered the past year...it seems that my lists are simply too long..

I should do this...
It would great if I could....
____just needs to get finished...
If only....

I think you understand what I mean...I have so much that should or could get done, so many deadlines and wish lists that I felt nothing was actually getting accomplished. As I started the new year I wondered what it would bring, what did God want from me, how could I help my kids, what needed to happen at work or in my volunteer life....what about my friends and relationships?

The more thought I gave it, the more overwhelmed I became.

I decided that praying about how to continue would be a good idea and the word 'nothing' kept coming to mind. I never make resolutions but pick one 'word' each year in hopes of clarifying what I want to accomplish. Maybe that should be my word for the year? Nothing, hmm nothing....even though I understood what it might meant to me, it did not seem like a positive word to spend a full year focusing on...and it hit me...focus...FOCUS...I need to spend this year focusing on God or I will not accomplish any of the rather large challenges I have this year. I can do nothing without He who strengthens me....therefore I need to spend more time focusing on Him.

So my friends, that is my word, focus, it has already been helpful...I seem to remember the task at hand, I am getting more little projects done and out of my way, I have been able to carve out valuable time for my kids.  I have spent time with God while driving, walking & doing dishes. I feel as though I am accomplishing so much more than I was at the end of last year...

No comments:

Post a Comment