Tuesday, January 2, 2018

2018....What to Do First?!?

2018 is here and it is time to make some decisions about how I will tackle the changes that are immentent with the arrival of my actual empty nest. Jordan is now in Regina for 6 months so other than weekends when the grandkids come I am living in a nest that is all mine....such an odd feeling to have a clean house stay clean!

So although I have chosen my word of the year and have a few ideas of how to keep busy, I have decided to start the blogging year with a project that is near and dear to me.

For many years I worked as a book buyer and LOVE to read. My first hardcover novel came from my grandparents for my sixth birthday....it still sits on my dresser as a reminder of the love they instilled in me. Most of my life escaping into the intricate plot of a book has brought me extreme pleasure; meeting richly developed characters has been like making new friends; I was able to travel the world without ever leaving the comfort of home.....and then my life seemed to fall apart I did not have the time, energy or desire to pick up a book. I tried on more than one occasion to pick up something but didn't seem to have the ability to concentrate long enough and what used to take a couple of days seemed to take a couple of months....and I missed the adventures.

So I decided that in 2018 I would embark on an intentional reading list and this past December started doing some searching for top books of the past year, I asked for recommendations and I scoured book sites to find some titles that intriqued me. I found more than a few. Originally I thought that 24 titles would be a good start....but once I started I could not stop....I now have 46 titles on my list that I want to read by the end of the year. I am excited at the prospect of picking up a book each evening (in my clean home) wrapped under my new plush blanket drinking my yummy loose leaf herbal tea...this is the year that I start to come back to myself and fill my time with things that bring me joy! Maybe I will even search for a new comfy chair to read in. Stay tuned to see what other changes will start to take place in 2018

PS/ The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden won the first book of the year and so far it is fantastic!!

No comments:

Post a Comment