Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Mighty is the Power of the Cross

I often drive through the mall parking lot on my way home, each time I see the same homeless man under the same tree and I wonder.... some days I wonder if there is some small kindness I could to to help his day along, some days I wonder why he picks the same spot (he has no sign and it is not a place people could stop at but it is under a tree and therefore dry or shady), some days I wonder why he chooses to live that way. Today I wondered what caused this one time small and beautiful baby boys life to take a turn of hopelessness, was it his childhood that caused him pain and dysfunction or poor choices as an adolescent...did he have a family once and loose them or choose to leave them. Whatever the circumstance, today he once again sits alone with a look of sadness on his dirty and weathered face. I wonder what his life would be like if he was able to embrace the power of Christ and the sacrifice he made on the cross.

As I start a journey of my own healing I am grateful that I do not have to have the feeling of hopelessness to contend with. Yes I have some memories I could live without, I have made some choices that were poor and the consequences are often difficult....what I have is the assurance that Jesus does indeed love me and will walk this path with me, that my saviour cares and will be supportive even when I make bad decisions, that He has put some wonderful people in my life to help me along the way...I have HOPE, it comes to me through the power of the cross.

Hope is never a static or passive thing. It is dynamic, active and life sustaining. This is obvious as we spend time in the Word. A biblical hope is not an escape from reality or from problems, far from it but it also doesn’t leave us idle, drifting or just rocking on the front porch. If our hope is based on God's promises, it will put us in a position to make changes. That said, it still may not be easy to summon up hope at times but it is possible and attainable...for this I am again grateful. (Click on picture for the song)
Psalm 62:5 My soul, wait in silence for God only, For my hope is from Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment