Thursday, July 28, 2011

Solitary...

This week is coming to an end...the weather today is absolutely gorgeous, it makes me want to do something but I am quickly discovering that I am not sure what to do with myself. I am very good at keeping myself busy, it is in my dna, downtime is something that is fairly foreign to me. That said, one of my many goals for this next year is to learn how to fill my time with things that I enjoy....Funny, I am learning that I am more of an introvert than I thought, I enjoy things that are often quite solitary. Simply something to make me ponder...hmmmm....

I guess for now I will stick to what I know...books...this week I picked up Lawrence Hill's Book of Negroes. It is a beautifully written story and I look forward to spending some time being engrossed by Aminata and her life. It is no wonder that this is an award winning book, so far it is stunning and haunting at the same time. A bit of trivia...this book is only in Canada by this title, everywhere else it has been published as Someone Knows My Name. Although it is a fiction work, it is inspired by a historical document also called the 'Book of Negroes'...yes, I am a bit geeky and yes, I look forward to spending some time with this book. I will let you know how it goes :)

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog - wow, you are good at writing down your thoughts ! Should have been an Emglish teacher :) Enjoy this new stage in your life, do things for just you and enjoy them :)
    Sounds like a good book. Will find you next time I am in "your" store and we can catch up on each others lives :)
    Rachel Rempel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel, I would love to have a coffee and catch up. I so appreciate the kind words, I actually often wonder if anyone reads this so it comes as a pleasant surprise to hear from you. Look forward to seeing you.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete